NATO spox: Stoltenberg plans to leave in October - Breaking The News
Download our appPlay StoreApp Store

NATO spox: Stoltenberg plans to leave in October

EPA-EFE/MICHAEL REYNOLDS

NATO spokesperson Oana Lungescu told media on Sunday that the military alliance's Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg plans to leave the post in October 2023.

The prime minister of Norway from 2000 to 2001 and from 2005 to 2013, Stoltenberg became the 13th NATO secretary general in October 2014 and his term has been extended three times.

Earlier in the day, it was reported that Stoltenberg will remain the military organization's chief until April 2024.

Related News
Rubio: US will have to boost its defense spending
United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio remarked on Thursday during a joint press conference with NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte that Washington will have to increase its defense spending given "dire" global threats.He added that other NATO countries need to do the same. Mentioning the ministerial meeting taking place today and tomorrow, Rubio underlined that he wants to "leave with an understanding that we are on a realistic pathway to...
EU's Ukraine security force may rely on NATO infrastructure
European leaders are considering using North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) assets to support a proposed "reassurance force" in Ukraine if a ceasefire with Russia is reached, the Financial Times reported, citing officials familiar with the talks. The plan, led by France and the United Kingdom, would integrate NATO's command and control structures, along with its "intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance" capabilities. Officials familiar with the talks told the...
Rutte: Not all of Russia's demands should be taken so seriously
NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte downplayed on Wednesday Russia's rejection of US ceasefire proposals for Ukraine, stating that Moscow's demands should "not be taken too seriously." Russia dismissed the US initiative, arguing it failed to meet its core conditions, which include NATO's withdrawal to its 1997 borders.Rutte described such demands as part of Russian President Vladimir Putin's negotiation tactics, emphasizing that Western allies must always...
Rutte: NATO countries' spending needs to be over 3%
NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte remarked on Wednesday during a press briefing that many NATO countries that are not yet at the defense spending of 2% of their gross domestic products are "getting to a place where they want to commit" to this number, potentially even before the summit in Hauge, which is taking place in June.Nonetheless, he stressed that the countries will likely need to spend "considerably north of 3% to reach targets." Rutte underlined...

Please observe our Terms of Use. The price information is time delayed to varying extents, but as a rule by 15 minutes or more, according to the regulations of the selected stock exchange and/or licensors and the type of securities.

© 2025 TeleTrader Software GmbH. All rights reserved

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Our Terms of Use and Data Protection Policy explain the data we collect, why we collect them, and how we may share them.