Russian NGO disbands after 'foreign agent' accusation - Breaking The News
Download our appPlay StoreApp Store

Russian NGO disbands after 'foreign agent' accusation

EPA-EFE/SERGEI ILNITSKY

The Russian Committee for the Prevention of Torture, a non-government organization, has disbanded after being accused of working as a "foreign agent," agency head Sergei Babinets announced on Sunday.

"Despite the obvious importance of our mission, the authorities have been trying for many years to portray it as foreign and harmful," Babinets said in a Telegram post. He explained that the NGO views the government accusation as an "insult" and that the move by Moscow is a "signal" that "torture is becoming (or has already become) part of government policy."

The organization was founded over two decades ago with the intention to urge investigation into torture allegations, as well as getting medical and legal support for victims of torture.

Related News
Trump: Open to tariff talks in case of good offers
United States President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he is open to negotiating his tariff policy if any other country comes up with a "phenomenal" counterproposal while reaffirming that the duties' effect on the markets was "expected."Speaking to the press onboard Air Force One, Trump said he would consider lifting some of the measures against China if it agreed to the sale of ByteDance Ltd.'s TikTok. He added that a deal on TikTok's ownership in the US...
Sybiha reaffirms Ukraine-US mineral cooperation to Rubio
Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said he met with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio at NATO Headquarters on Thursday. During the meeting, Sybiha highlighted Ukraine's interest in strengthening economic ties, specifically in the area of mineral resource cooperation, as a cornerstone for furthering the bilateral relationship between Ukraine and the US.He further briefed Rubio on recent Russian violations of the energy ceasefire. Additionally, Sybiha...
Russia said to keep fighting if dissatisfied with Ukraine deal
The Russian side plans to continue its war against Ukraine if it is not satisfied with the deal to end the fighting, a United States media outlet reported on Thursday, citing people in Moscow familiar with the topic.While Russian President Vladimir Putin still believes that US President Donald Trump will present him with an "acceptable" peace agreement, he is ready to continue the "military operation" should negotiations fall through, sources told...
Russia blames Ukraine for attacks despite US-brokered truce
Russian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Maria Zakharova accused Ukraine on Thursday of carrying out over 30 attacks on energy infrastructure since a US-mediated moratorium was put in place last month."The attacks on Russia's energy infrastructure are targeted and are purely provocative and demonstrative," Zakharova told reporters.Zakharova said Ukraine had used Western-supplied weapons to target both Russian territory and...

Please observe our Terms of Use. The price information is time delayed to varying extents, but as a rule by 15 minutes or more, according to the regulations of the selected stock exchange and/or licensors and the type of securities.

© 2025 TeleTrader Software GmbH. All rights reserved

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Our Terms of Use and Data Protection Policy explain the data we collect, why we collect them, and how we may share them.