Mnuchin pulls out of Saudi event over Khashoggi - Breaking The News
Download our appPlay StoreApp Store

Mnuchin pulls out of Saudi event over Khashoggi

EPA-EFE / JIM LO SCALZO

United States Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on Thursday he will not attend the upcoming investment conference in Saudi Arabia, after consulting with US President Donald Trump and State Secretary Mike Pompeo.

Mnuchin stated earlier that he plans to be present at the event "for now," after which president Trump said that a final decision will be made before Friday. Treasury Secretary joined a number of other politicians and business leaders from Western countries that have withdrawn from the event in the Saudi capital called "Future Investment Initiative," scheduled for October 23-25.

Just today, French and Dutch Finance ministers have announced they will skip the conference, followed by British Trade Secretary Liam Fox, citing concerns over the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi after he entered Saudi Consulate on October 2. Trump has threatened with "severe punishment" if the Saudi government is found culpable of a possible murder of the journalist, known for his criticism of the Saudi royal family.

Related News
Mnuchin 'very interested' to invest in TikTok
Former United States Secretary of the Treasury and investment banker Steven Mnuchin stated on Tuesday that one idea for TikTok would be to transfer all its technology, ensuring it no longer engages with ByteDance in the future.Talking to CNBC, Mnuchin expressed his doubts about China's previous willingness to negotiate but hinted at the interest of the group of investors surrounding him to invest in the platform. The banker explained that last year's bid was put on...
Steven Mnuchin leads investment group to bid for TikTok
Former US Secretary of the Treasury and the Founder and Managing Partner of Liberty Strategic Capital, Steven T. Mnuchin, announced in an interview with CNBC on Thursday his intention to form an investor group to acquire TikTok. The move comes in response to Wednesday's approval in the House of Representatives of a bill forcing ByteDance, TikTok's parent company, to divest from the app or face a US ban. Mnuchin, recognizing the potential...
US judge drops case against MbS over Khashoggi murder
A United States district court judge dismissed on jurisdictional grounds a lawsuit that stipulates Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is responsible for the assassination of journalist Jamal Khashoggi. In his official ruling, Judge John Bates acknowledged that the murder was carried out by Saudi nationals, but explained that "the Court cannot resolve that issue at this time," citing a "Statement of Interest filed by the United States" and "the absence of any basis to...
MbS move nothing to do with merits of Khashoggi case - WH
White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said on Friday that the United States Department of Justice's recent clarification that Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is immune from lawsuit in US courts concerning the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi "has nothing to do with merits" of the Khashoggi case. The crown prince is immune for as long he holds the title of the prime minister of Saudi Arabia, the DoJ explained, according to...

Please observe our Terms of Use. The price information is time delayed to varying extents, but as a rule by 15 minutes or more, according to the regulations of the selected stock exchange and/or licensors and the type of securities.

© 2025 TeleTrader Software GmbH. All rights reserved

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Our Terms of Use and Data Protection Policy explain the data we collect, why we collect them, and how we may share them.